Germany is a country full of history and culture. This diverse country is a remarkable place that most travelers are fascinated by. This is a great place to explore and enjoy the great outdoors. From fairy-tale castles to unique festivals, Germany has something for everyone.
Traveling in winter is not only cheaper but also the best time to enjoy world-class skiing. This is the time when Nuremberg plays host to the Christkindelsmarkt – a world famous attraction featuring numerous stalls selling colorful wooden toys, mulled wine and German food such as bratwurst and goulash. And, if you like winter sports, the hills around Bavaria make way for some of the best skiing and snowshoeing, don’t forget to drink mugs of warm milk in a cozy Gastua!
And, if this wasn’t compelling enough for you to plan a trip to Germany in winter, let us convince you even more!
Best time to visit Germany
The best time to visit Germany is during late spring and early autumn when it is sunny climate in germany It is pleasant. But, if you want to beat the crowds and see the land of poets and thinkers in its best glory, plan a visit during winter. If you are wondering when winter is in Germany, it lasts from December to February.
winter temperatures in germany
December: Average low 27°F, Average high 41°F
January: The lowest winter temperature in Germany is around 23° F, while the average highest temperature is 40° F.
february: Average low 25°F, average high 41°F
Read suggestions: Oktoberfest Germany: Bottoms up your mugs at the world’s largest beer fest
Top reasons why you should visit Germany in winter
1. winter time in germany Could be real fun! Germany hosts some of the best markets in Europe starting in the last week of November and lasting until Christmas Eve.
2. It’s the best time of the year to enjoy germany winter festival,
3. Glühwein is a traditional winter drink from Germany served during winter. This is one recipe that will never let you down!
4. Does it snow in Germany? Yes, it really snows a lot in winter.
5. During the winter days before Christmas, foodies can enjoy traditional home-made dishes in the region.
6. winter in wonderland germany is fantastic. It’s a great time to go ice skating in Heidelberg. The huge outdoor ice rink offers breathtaking views of the snow-covered Heidelberg Castle.
7. During Christmas, locals light up cities, villages, parks, buildings and even trees with all things beautiful and shiny.
Read suggestions: The 8 Best Restaurants in Germany to Check Out on Your Next Vacation in Deutschland
5 Best Places to Visit During Winter in Germany
Weather in Germany in January Can be quite cold, yet enjoyable. Listed below are some of the many places you can visit winter holidays in germany,
The Zugspitze is the highest peak of the Wetterstein mountain range. The peak is easily accessible by cogwheel railway and cable cars, providing an easy route to the top, where breathtakingly beautiful views of the four countries wait to enthrall you. There are many day tours that will take you straight to the top where you can sit and taste a sumptuous meal or enjoy a drink, relaxing on the terrace overlooking the stunning glaciers.
things to do: Winter sports, skiing, snowboarding, sledding, cross country skiing, Bavarian curling
Best hotels to stay: Zugspitze Resort & Hotel Tirolerhof
Read suggestions: Germany nightlife: an ultimate guide to experiencing the kaleidoscope of drinks and music
Partnachkalmn, also popularly known as Partnach Gorge, is a must-see attraction on a trip to Germany. This valley is dark, wet and extremely cold during winter and yet extremely beautiful. In winter, Parthenkalmn turns into a magical place with beautiful ice formations. Make sure you dress warmly and stay away from trailheads if there is snow or ice.
things to do: evening walk
Best hotels to stay: Ferienwohnung Wittmann and Hotel Das Grassek – My mountain hideaway
3. Cologne Christmas Market
this beautiful germany winter market, the best visit is when the sun goes down and the lights shine. The Cologne Christmas Markets are seven colorful and busy markets spread across the city. Set aside at least two days to explore these markets and make sure you wear comfortable shoes. The cathedral’s festive market features over 150 brightly colored stalls displaying intricate wood carvings and artisan crafts.
things to do: Go skating, stroll along the Rhine River, visit Cologne Cathedral, shop at the Christmas markets.
Best hotels to stay: Excelsior Hotel Ernst, City Class Hotel Residence
Read suggestions: 10 Best Museums in Germany That Will Give You a True Glimpse of the Country’s Historical Past
4. Fantasy Land
Many celebrities have visited this park. Be it summer or winter, a trip to Fantasia Land will make your vacation the best it can be. This theme park near Cologne also operates in winter and offers some great rides, attractions and shows for the whole family. This amazing park also offers a unique dining experience.
things to do: Go on fun rides like the Black Mamba, the Teron and the Raik. Also, visit the Mystery Castle.
Best hotels to stay: Hotel Mondial M Dome Cologne MGallery by Sofitel
germany winter temperatures Temperatures can drop to -50 degrees Fahrenheit, and many attractions close after Christmas. If you’re a frosty traveler and don’t mind walking around in the snow, plan a trip to Dresden during winter. This historic city is home to many museums, palaces and iconic buildings that remain open in winter. Castle Moritzburg – a mesmerizing water castle, in particular, is a must-see.
things to do: Visit the Zwinger Palace, Frauenkirche de Meissen
Best hotels to stay:: Traube Tonbach and the romantic Hotel Sackmann
Read suggestions: Shopping in Germany: A look at the 10 best shopping boulevards, flea markets and more
What to pack for your holidays in Germany during winter
Here are some things you should pack to protect you from snow, sleet, and rain.
1. Don’t forget to carry your passport, airline ticket, driving license and of course your wallet!
2. Take a portable charger to revive your phone or camera while you’re exploring snow-covered winter forests.
3. Carry warm clothes, socks and long underwear to help deal with cold winds.
4. A good lip balm and lotion can be a true savior, as winters can dry out your skin quickly.
5. Strong germany winter boots This may come in handy if you are planning to visit the city during winter. They will keep your feet warm and dry.
6. Also, carry a winter scarf, warm gloves, a winter hat, long johns and a warm hat germany winter jacket or parka, like germany winter weather Can be harsh.
6. Make sure you keep your medicines packed, as not all shops are open during this time winter in germany,
7. And finally, don’t forget to carry a camera to capture some moments of your cold and chilly winter holidays in Germany!
read ahead: 15 Top Things to Do in Germany That Offer a Glimpse of Its Kaleidoscope Culture
Overall, the snow and cold winds in winter turn Germany into a magical land of dreams, celebrations and happiness that every traveler must experience once in a lifetime! So, plan a trip to Europe with TourTravelHotels And Go on an adventure.
Disclaimer: TourTravelHotels claims no credit for images displayed on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyright to its respected owners. We try to link to the original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TourTravelHotels, please Contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in giving due credit to the original author, artist or photographer.
please pay attention: Any information published by TourTravelHotels in any form of content is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice of any kind, and one should not take any action before consulting a professional medical expert of one’s choice.
FAQs about winter in Germany
How cold is Germany in winter?
Winters in Germany are quite cold and in extreme conditions the temperature can drop to zero degrees Celsius. It can be bone-chilling and breath-taking.
What are the winter months in Germany?
December to February are the winter months in Germany.
How should one dress in winter in Germany?
Winter in Germany can be extreme and so it is important to dress accordingly. Layering is a way to fight the biting cold. Wear warmer and when you are going out, make sure you wear a waterproof jacket as it can rain at any time. Mufflers, woolen gloves and a hat are essential.
What should I pack for Germany?
Here is the packing list for Germany:
1. Warm shoes with non-slip soles
2. Woolen hat
4. Woolen jacket or sweater
5. Down jacket or goose feather jacket
7. Full Sleeve Shirt
Does it snow a lot in Germany?
Yes. Temperatures drop to zero in Germany during the winter months so a lot of snowfall can be expected there.
What can I do in Germany in winter?
Some things to do in Germany in winter are:
1. Shop at Christmas markets
2. Enjoy snowfall in Berlin
3. Witness the beauty of the Black Forest
4. Ice skate at Zeche Zollverein
5. Visit a snow-capped castle like Hohenzollern Castle
Which Christmas market is the best in Germany?
Some of the best Christmas markets in Germany are:
1. Christmas Market at Cologne Cathedral – Cologne
2.Dresden Streiselmarkt -Dresden
3. Gendarmenmarkt – Berlin
Are you looking to book an international holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TourTravelHotels with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.