Built in the early 19th century, Buddhist Wat Phra That Doi Suthep One of the sacred and most important temples in Chiang Mai, Thailand. This structure is an incredible example of architecture and skilled craftsmanship. For those hoping for an extraordinary experience filled with peace and tranquility, Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Temple is the place to be!
About Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
A sacred place to the Thai people, this Wat Phra That Doi Suthep temple is marked by seven-headed serpent statues on 306 steps. Once you reach the roof of the temple, the view from the top is mesmerizing. And to get the most out of it, make sure you keep this guide handy.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Location
Read suggestions: 10 places to visit in Chiang Mai to get closer to nature and your spiritual self!
Wat Phra That is located on top of Doi Suthep Mountain, about 15 kilometers from Chiang Mai. Located on Doi Suthep Mountain on the western outskirts of Chiang Mai is famously one of the most sacred temples in northern Thailand.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep History
Located in the heart of Thailand, Wat Phra That Doi Suthep was founded in 1383 by King Kaew Naon to enshrine a piece of bone said to be part of the Buddha’s shoulder. It was brought to Lanna by a wandering monk from Sukhothai, and was broken into two pieces at the base of the mountain, and one piece was installed in Wat Suan Dok.
The second bone was placed on a sacred white elephant (an important symbol in Thailand) that was left in the forest. It is said that the elephant mounted Doi Suthep and stopped, trumpeted three times, then died. This was interpreted as an omen and thus construction of the temple began on the orders of King Nu Naon.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Compound
Read suggestions: 10 Chiang Mai Resorts: Treatment for one’s body and soul in Thailand
The Wat Phra That Doi Suthep complex includes pavilions, pagodas, statues and viharas. Visitors can visit a museum that has been built inside the complex where one can find ancient relics, photographs and old pieces of temple furnishings. In addition, the pavilions contain living quarters for the monks, a prayer hall called Ubosot, a souvenir shop, and small shops for drinks and snacks.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Entrance Fee: Wat Phra That Doi Suthep entrance fee is 30 baht.
How to reach Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
Find below different means to reach Wat Phra That Doi Suthep:
If you plan to drive yourself and arrive by car, take the Huai Kaew – Chiang Mai University – Chiang Mai Zoo road. This will pave the way for Wat Phra That Doi Suthep.
By A Songthyu
- The Red Songthaews leave from Huay Kaew Road near the zoo and cost 40 baht per person one way.
- You can rent songs from anywhere in the city. If you want the driver to wait at the top and bring you back down after visiting the temple it should cost 300 baht or 500 baht one way.
- You can either walk the 306 stairs or you can take the funicular-style cable car, which runs from 6am to 6pm and costs 20 baht for locals and 50 baht for foreigners.
Tips for Visiting Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
Read suggestions: 10 Indian Restaurants in Krabi: Get the Desi Taste in Thailand
- Wear pants inside the temple or if you are wearing shorts the temple authorities will give you a sarong to cover yourself.
- You will have to climb a lot of steep and bumpy stairs. Make sure your shoes are comfortable.
- Cameras and tripods are allowed inside the temple premises.
- Do not litter around the temple as the security forces are armed.
- At Wat Phra That Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai, they also have the Tiaw Khuen Doi Festival. During this festival devotees travel to Doi Suthep Hill to worship the Buddhist relics enshrined there, and it is not to be missed.
Attractive isn’t it? Then what are you waiting for? Plan a trip to the majestic Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, and get ahead by customizing one of the Thailand tour packages with TourTravelHotels for a hassle-free trip!
read ahead: The 10 Best Things to Do in Chiang Mai for a one-of-a-kind holiday experience in Thailand!
Are you looking to book an international holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TourTravelHotels with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.