Portugal is a beautiful country located in the southwest of Europe. Lisbon is the largest city and has the status of capital of Portugal. Portugal is famous for its seasons and the beauty of nature. With so many things to do here, you can’t afford to go wrong with the planning part. So, why wait?
Scroll down to know what awaits you in this gorgeous land and make your plans summer in portugal For an exciting experience like never before!
Best time to visit Portugal
The most suitable time to visit Portugal is spring which starts from the month of February or early autumn season which falls in the month of October. The most famous flowers that grace the spring season are carpet hills and almond blossoms. The autumn season is neither too hot nor too cold. It has the coolness of the sea breeze as well as the warm touch of the breeze. Swimming is quite common but on official outdoor beaches it lasts from June to September.
Portugal weather in summer
The beautiful summer season in Portugal starts from the month of June and ends in the month of September. There is a 30°C difference in time of day across the country. August is the official Portuguese holiday month and is the best time of summer to visit Portugal. In addition, the beaches and river pools are quite full and prices at restaurants and hotels are very high in August. The weather in the Southern Portugal region is mild while in Northern Portugal the weather is quite cold with strong sunrays bordering the snowy mountains.
Must read: 14 great things to do in Portugal to enjoy the rich Portuguese flavor
summer festivals in portugal
Portugal festivals interpret the region’s culture, tradition, religion, classical and contemporary music. There are many events and concerts that give us a deeper insight into tourism and travel in Portugal. Some of these famous festivals are as follows:
- International Sand Sculpture Festival Celebrated from March to August. There are almost many sand sculptures made by artists here which depict the life of the people and their lifestyle in detail.
- Serralves in Festa Held in the Baixa area of Porto in the month of June, it offers local people approximately 40 hours of free performances of classical music, theatre, circus, drama, drama, dance and architecture.
- rock festival It is celebrated with great pomp in Lisbon’s Bella Vista Park from 20 to 30 June. It is a 5 day music event where all types of music songs are presented by singers and artists in the form of concerts.
- St. Anthony Festival A grand celebration is held in the Alfama district in mid-June. The delicious dishes accompanied with mesmerizing songs and poems enhance the mood of love and affection among the people.
- Arreal Pride Portugal has a kind of gay pride event celebrated at the end of June with revelry in the streets and markets.
Best Summer Places in Portugal
There are many places suggested by the Portugal Holiday Destination Map that offer us a glimpse of the magical country of Portugal. Some of them are discussed below!
1. Coimbatore is a city of daydreaming beauty with many magnificent gardens, historical places and beautiful traditional artefacts. Coimbatore has one of the largest libraries in the world and is admired for its old cathedral and Gothic monastery as it contains the remains and tomb of Queen Isabel.
2. The Azores has Sao Miguel which is considered the “Green Island” due to it being the largest island of the Azores. Summer in Portugal would be incomplete without the Azores as it consists of 9 volcanic islands in the deep Atlantic Ocean. Furthermore, this place is acclaimed for its hot springs, sea waves and natural beauty. The Pico is considered the highest mountain range in Portugal.
3. Aveiro is popularly known as the “Venice of Portugal” for its excellent architectural monuments and artworks. Its picturesque beaches, charismatic historical sites, delicious food dishes, beautiful bridges and speedboats make it an attractive tourist destination in Portugal.
4. Évora is considered the capital of the Alentejo region with over 4,000 artistic sculptures. This city has some of the most fascinating and heart-touching monuments that explain the ancient history and culture of Europe.
Read suggestions: These exciting places to visit in Portugal in winter will make your trip memorable
things to do in portugal
There are many things that you can do in the hot summer season that will add to the adventurous experience of your trip and give you an insight into the region of Portugal, the activities that you can do in summer time in Portugal are as follows:
1. River Cruise
Wine tasting is one of the sweetest experiences enjoyed by travelers and wine lovers. Quinta da Pacheca is one of the oldest estates in the Douro for wine tasting where people come and enjoy the monumental beauty with a delicious lunch. Furthermore, river cruises add to the wonderful experience of wine tourism. Douro River Cruise is one of the ideal cruise destinations around the world.
Read suggestions: A guide to help you plan your Portugal honeymoon
2. Hiking and bike riding
Portugal is a perfect blend of adventurous experiences as well as scenic natural beauty that offers travelers and tourists the opportunity to explore the unique experience of hiking, bike riding, kayaking and many more. Areas like Vinho Verde, Quinta do Amil, Ponte de Lima etc. are famous for these nature exploration activities.
Read suggestions: 9 Best Churches in Lisbon That Will Make Your Portugal Holidays More Memorable
Whenever it comes to enjoying thrilling water waves during the hot summer season at the beach, the Antigua beaches are the number one choice of surfers. The beaches offer a huge variety of delicious seafood as well as amazing sunrise and sunset views. Vinho verde and Alentejo red are some of the fruity fresh wines available for wine lovers.
Read suggestions: 5 Best Villas in Portugal That Will Add to Your Holiday Experience
Tips for summer in Portugal
Below are some important tips that you should keep in mind before traveling to the delightful place of Portugal.
- sunscreen These are extremely important to protect your skin from sunburn during the summer season and provide a glowing tan without causing any harm to your skin. If you are planning to spend your summer in the Portugal region, especially in the cities of Lisbon or the Faroe Islands, sunscreen for your face and body is a must.
- sunglasses: Apart from sunscreen, sunglasses are also a must to protect your eyes and provide you with comfortable and clear vision during the day, especially when you are at the beach.
- Swimwear: Don’t forget to pack your warm swimwear before going on holiday as it is a must for trips to the beach. Also, buy good quality swimwear that is comfortable for your skin and body.
- Electric Adapters and Transformers: To charge the battery of your electronic devices like e-reader, mobile phone, laptop, camera etc., you must have a charger. So please make sure you keep your charger in your handbag before you set out on a trip.
read ahead: 11 best places to visit in Portugal, the hidden gem of Europe
Portugal is a dream city full of love, adventure, thrill and fun. So, pack your bags and spend your summer in Portugal enjoying the beaches and beautiful lifestyle. Plan your trip to Portugal for a relaxing vacation like never before!
Disclaimer: TourTravelHotels claims no credit for images displayed on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyright to its respected owners. We try to link to the original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TourTravelHotels, please Contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in giving due credit to the original author, artist or photographer.
please pay attention: Any information published by TourTravelHotels in any form of content is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice of any kind, and one should not take any action before consulting a professional medical expert of one’s choice.
FAQs about summer in Portugal
What month is summer in Portugal?
Portugal experiences summer during the months of June, July, August and the first half of September.
What is the best time to visit Portugal?
Portugal receives tourists throughout the year, although the best time to visit this heavenly beautiful country is between March and May or September and October.
What are the best places to visit in Portugal?
Coimbra, Azores and Aveiro are some of the best holiday destinations and must-see places to visit in Portugal.
What are the best things to do in Portugal in summer?
There are many things to try in Portugal, however most tourists are recommended to go for river cruises and of course adventure lovers can opt for hiking and bike riding. Surfing is also widely practiced in Portugal.
What should you take with you before going on summer holidays to Portugal?
Some of the basic things to have or take with you when going out to enjoy a nice summer holiday in Portugal would be sunscreen, sunglasses, swimwear and electric adapter.
What are the famous summer festivals in Portugal?
International Sand Sculpture Festival, Rock Festival and ST Anthony Festival are some of the best festivals to visit and experience with your friends and family.
Are you looking to book an international holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TourTravelHotels with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.