Kausani has been rightly titled as the Switzerland of India by Mahatma Gandhi. This picturesque hill station is a haven that satiates wanderlust and takes you away from the monotonous city life.
Snuggled in the Himalayas, Kausani is a part of Kumaon region in Uttarakhand which is bestowed with rich biodiversity. While there are many reasons to visit Kausani, we have listed the top 9 that you won’t be able to resist.
But before we move ahead with the list of reasons to visit Kausani, here’s a quick run through some important information that will help you plan a trip a Kausani.
Best time to visit Kausani
Summer season is the best time to visit Kausani, when the weather is pleasant and offers respite from scorching heat. However, the lovely hill station can be visited anytime of the year. If you love snow, winter is also a good time to visit Kausani.
- April to June: With temperature ranging between 10 degrees celsius and 27 degrees celsius, the three summer months are considered to be the best time to visit Kausani. This is also the peak season. So, make sure you book accommodation and transportation well in advance.
- July to September: Monsoon brings average rain showers in Kausani, eventually leading to a greener vista and pleasant weather.
- October to February: During winter months, temperature in Kausani ranges from 0 degree celsius to 15 degree celsius. Average to heavy snowfall turns the whole landscape into a white wonderland. Don’t forget heavy woolens at home if you’re visiting Kausani in winters.
How to reach Kausani
Kausani is easily accessible via different modes of transportation.
- By cab: Car rental and cab facilities to reach Kausani from Delhi are easily available. If you want to drive to Kausani, go for ZoomCar and Cars On Rent. You can reach Kausani from Delhi in a cab/car in 10 hours 30 minutes. If you’re coming from Chandigarh, the journey is 12 hour 30 minutes long.
- By bus: Direct buses from Delhi to Kausani are not yet available. One has to board a bus from Delhi to Haldwani and then from Haldwani to Kausani. Estimated time to reach Kausani from Delhi, in bus, is 10 hours.
- By train: If someone prefers train, he needs to take train from Delhi or Chandigarh to Haldwani and then from Haldwani board a bus heading towards Kausani. Estimated time to be taken to reach Kausani from Delhi, in train, is 12 hours 30 minutes.
- By air: Nearest airport from Kausani is located in Pant Nagar, 178 km away (5 hours). This domestic airport is directly connected to Delhi. From Pantnagar, one can opt for a bus ride or cab to reach Kausani. Estimated time to be taken to reach from Delhi to Kausani, via air, is 8 hours.
Top Reasons To Visit Kausani
Easy connectivity, and all-year-round pleasant weather too are the reasons to visit Kausani. But the most compelling ones are as follows:
1. It is a quick weekend getaway from Delhi and is blessed with pristine beauty.
Kausani is among the most beautiful weekend getaways from Delhi for people in search of sheer tranquility and pristine natural beauty. The hill station is located in Uttarakhand, and has been called ‘Switzerland of India’ by Mahatma Gandhi, owing to stark similarities of the mountainscape. With pine groves strewn through, Kausani is a great place for nature walks. And while you explore the deepest secrets of its woods, you’ll attain sheer tranquility.
Distance from Delhi: 412 km (9.5 hours)
Must Read: Still Feel The Air Pollution In Delhi? Pick From These Beautiful Places Nearby For A Weekend Of Fresh Air
2. Kausani is a trekker’s paradise.
For those who love to lose themselves in nature’s lap, Kausani is a treasure. You can choose from the lighter ones like treks Rudradhari Falls & Caves to the slightly challenging ones like the trek to Pindari – the options are plenty. On treks of higher altitudes, there are fair chances for you to spot animals like Snow Leopard, Musk Deer, and Blue Sheep.
Trekking places in and near Kausani: Rudradhari, Kafni Glacier, Baijnath Temple, Pinnath, Pindari, and Sunderdhunga Glacier
Suggested Read: 10 Offbeat Trekking Spots In The Himalayas
3. You get to camp under the stars in Kausani.
Camping in Kausani is done in unexplored surroundings that give a peace of mind, by keeping you closer to nature’s beauty without compromising on basic necessities. If you’re a peace lover, stargazing, nature walks, and bird watching tours will engage you. Adventure-seekers can indulge in various activities such as mountain biking, rock climbing, and rappelling.
Best camps in Kausani: Eco Adventure Camp, Padampuri Camps, and Camp Kalsi
4. Winters in Kausani turn it into a wonderland.
Winters in Kausani bring snowfall, which eventually make the mountainscape look like a wonderland. Snow covered hills and chilling weather – that too in a tranquil hill-station like Kausani – isn’t something you’d want to miss.
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
5. A delight for the ornithologists and the bird lovers, Kausani will surprise you with colorful bird population.
Birdwatching is one of the best things to do in Kausani. As you’ll wander through the walkways embraced by bushes and trees, the birds will keep you company in Kausani. Peacock, Great Hornbill, Grey Winged Blackbird, Safed Teetar, Common Hill Partridge, and Red Billed Blue Magpie are some of the birds you can expect to see here.
6. The tea estates will leave you hanging around, both for the taste and the views.
The Kausani Tea Estate, one of the top tourist attractions in Kausani, is spread across 208 acres of area and can be counted as that perfect chilling heaven for a tea-lover. The staff members of the estate guide the visitors and tell them about the tea manufacturing processes. Also, tourists can taste and buy Darjeeling-style long grain & other kinds of teas at affordable price.
7. Rudradhari Falls and Caves form the ultimate backdrop you want for your selfies.
Located amid the paddy fields, terraced farms, and rich pine-covered woods, Rudradhari Falls & caves combine to form one of the most beautiful places to visit in Kausani and thus make a perfect backdrop for your selfies. It’s located just 12 km away from Kausani, in Adi Kailash Region, and can be reached through an easy trek. As per the legends, this place is associated with Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu.
8. There are ashrams that tell inspiring tales of history.
While in Kausani, you’ll come across ashrams like Lakshmi Ashram (also known as Sarla Ashram) and Anasakti Ashram. Lakshmi Ashram was built back in 1964, and it serves as an orphanage for girls. Tourists visit this place for the views, history, and inspiration.
Right next to Lakshmi Ashram is Gandhi Ashram (Also known as Anasakti Ashram), which mainly is a museum built as a tribute to Mahatma Gandhi. He once visited Kausani and fell in love with its scenic beauty. His book Anashakti Yog was written here. Many of Gandhi’s books and pictures are kept on display for public viewing.
9. Religious shrines in Kausani cast magic.
The spiritual aura of Kausani is yet another of many reasons to visit Kausani. Baijnath Temple, Katarmal Temple, and Bageshwar Temple are among the most famous temples in Kausani owing to the legends and history. Also, the panoramic view adds on as a bonus.
Baijnath Temple is located on the banks of Gomti River. This 12th century is a visual treat as the sculptures and carvings showcase excellent artistry of the olden era. Bageshwar Temple holds Uttarayani Fair every January and attract a huge crowd. It’s nestled near the confluence of Saryu and Gomti. The 9th century Katarmal Sun Temple is acclaimed for its history and metallic carving and sculpture.
Now that you’re convinced. Get set to and explore this lovely paradise. Don’t forget to share your experience.
Further Read: Top 12 Religious Places In India: Redefining Spirituality For Gen Y
Long Weekend Trips Starting @ Rs 3499/-
Take a trip to spend the upcoming long weekend with your buddies.
✓ Stay at 4 star rating hotels with local sightseeing, meals and transfers.
✓ Travel in AC coach round trip (from Delhi).
✓ All Inclusive Deal– Camping, Jeep Safari & Trekking as per itinerary
✓ Sign up NOW to celebrate the long weekend out of town!