The thought of a vacation must have crossed your mind during covid times and especially when you are dealing with the stress of a pandemic. Masks, sanitizers, disinfectants, social distancing – these are terms we are now familiar with. Now, talking about the much needed break, vacations seem to be gaining traction again. It’s slow but it’s picking up. So, here is a detailed post-covid travel guide to Andaman that lets you gain an insight into your expectations about what you can experience.
It answers several questions like “Is Andaman open for travel and how can you travel to Andaman during Covid?”
Andaman Travel Advisory During Covid
What initially started off as a 2 week lockdown went on for 7 months in Andaman. However, through strict controls and measures adopted by the officials, the active cases have stayed under control. Therefore, with the same level of strictness, tourism was also given the heads up after Unlock 4 on September 27, on International World Tourism Day. So, here are the details of Andaman travel guide as provided by the Government of India SOP:
- Negative RT-PCR test report is not mandatory for vaccinated travellers.
- Travellers with a foreign travel history in the last 30 days should undertake an RT-PCR test upon arrival.
- The Andaman and Nicobar islands are now open and running.
- Institutional quarantine is not required.
- Social distancing is followed at the tourist attractions.
- The light and sound show at the Cellular Jail and Netaji Subhash Bose Island can be attended.
- All the tourist boats will are operating.
- Transit facilities and public transport are now completely open.
- Ferry services have resumed for tourists and locals who want to travel within the island.
Must Read: Sail To Unlock Mysteries Of Little Andaman Island With This 2022 Travel Guide!
Best Time To Visit
Andaman and Nicobar Islands enjoy uniform and moderate weather throughout the year. Hence, you can visit this beautiful and majestic beauty all year round.
How To Reach
With the resumption of travel to Andaman properly from September, travel to Andaman during Covid is easier. Apart from the pre-booked hotel, you will have to undergo a Rapid Antigen Test at the Port Blair International Airport. According to the result, you can either be allowed to travel further in Andaman or you will have to stay under institutional quarantine.
- There are many direct and connecting flights from Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Delhi and other parts of the country to Port Blair
- Airlines like GoAir, Air India, Spicejet and Vistara resumed their services to Andaman
The question arises, again and again, “is it safe to travel to Andaman during Covid”? Since safety is a primary concern, all public transportation is open for easy travel. Buses will carry passengers at 50% capacity. Ferry services provided by Makruzz are resumed for travelling within the island.
Suggested Read: 8 Best Cruises To Andaman In 2022: Guide To Fares And Ferries From Kolkata, Chennai And Vizag!
Places To Visit In Andaman During Covid-19
Andaman is a paradise not just known for its beaches and resorts but acres of natural beauty. The land comprises multiple islands and a coral landscape, there are several attractions, landmarks and islands in Andaman. While many in North and Little Andaman remain closed for now, South Andaman is still full of majestic beauties. You travel to Andaman during Covid will greet you with several destinations. Some of the most amazing places to visit in Andaman during Covid include Havelock Island, Baratang Island, Red Skin Island, Neil Island and Ross Island.
Things To Do In Andaman During Covid
Although, during the early phases of unlock, limited activities were permitted, now, a lot has changed. Any post-covid travel guide to Andaman is incomplete without letting you know what things you can be a part of. You can chill by the beautiful beaches in Andaman, enjoy the light and sound show at Cellular Jail and Ross Island, and delve into the exotic seafood. You can also enjoy several water sports in Andaman like scuba diving, jet skiing, and parasailing. Museums, beaches and some entertainment parks are also open for exploration.
Suggested Read: Scuba Diving In Andaman In 2022: 15 Unexplored Sites To Unravel The Colors Of The Ocean!
Post-covid travel guide to Andaman has an important element that is “accommodation.” Where will you stay and how? The hotels and resorts in Andaman are open from 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM. All accommodation options have been advised to keep up with the sanitary conditions required to deal with Covid-19. While many have prepared well enough, others are still taking initiatives to ensure a safe stay at their respective accommodation. The officials have advised the hotels to follow the protocols provided. Here are some hotels that you can expect safety at its highest priority:
- TSG Blue Resort
- Summer Sand Beach Resort
- Peerless Resort
- Roxel Inn
- Wonderland Beach Resort
- Blue Bird Residence
- Hotel Marina Manor
Andaman travel restrictions during Covid do not mention much about restaurants in particular. Although, the restaurants in Andaman will remain open from 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM. All restaurants must ensure seating in a way social distancing is maintained and must display a banner showing the correct way to wear a mask. And again, wearing masks is absolutely necessary.
Suggested Read: 14 Interesting Secrets Of Andaman Islands: All About The Scenic Destination!
What To Pack
Post-covid travel guide to Andaman is incomplete without checking off the list of things that the travelers need to pack:
- Carry your usual meds in case you are undergoing any treatment along with the prescription.
- A first-aid kit with the mandatory items to get you through the trip would be advisable.
- Take suitable masks, disposable gloves, and sanitizers are mandatory.
- Pack light, but pack cotton clothes to change easily and regularly during covid times.
- Don’t forget your slippers, sunscreen, swimwear, and sunglasses.
- Insect repellent is a must for everyone.
- Pre-book your flights and hotel.
- There will be a mandatory check for Covid-19 at the airport. Either that or carry a negative covid report approved by ICMR certified labs dated 48 hours before travel.
- Download the Aarogya setu app on your mobile.
- Keep all the maps and contact information of important personnel at all times.
Further Travel Tips
Apart from the usual Andaman travel tips, here are some tips that will keep your health and safety in check:
- Carry and wear your mask throughout your travel period.
- Keep extra sanitizers, masks, and wipes for back up.
- Do not fail to follow social distancing.
- Even if you are tested negative in PCR testing, make sure you avoid the crowded areas on the islands.
Further Read: Honeymoon In Andaman 2022: A Handy Guide With Legit Tips, First-Hand Experiences And More!
Are you still wondering how to plan a post-pandemic trip to Andaman? Let this post-covid travel guide to Andaman help you to narrow down your queries. Enjoy a safe travel experience and share your post-covid travel stories with us!
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Please Note: Any information published by TravelTriangle in any form of content is not intended to be a substitute for any kind of medical advice, and one must not take any action before consulting a professional medical expert of their own choice.
People Also Read:
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Andaman open for tourists now?
Yes, Andaman is open for tourists from September 27, 2020. However, the administration has decided to open South Andaman as of now. North and Little Andaman Islands are yet to open awaiting further instructions!
Is it safe to travel to Andaman?
Having taken all the necessary precautions and abiding by the rules, it is safe to travel to Andaman during the Covid times.
Do you need a passport to travel to Andaman?
Andaman is part of the Indian jurisdiction and the laws of India are applicable to the laws of the Andaman. Therefore, for citizens of India, a passport is not required. But with Covid and all, other necessary documents are required.
How many islands in Andaman are open for tourists?
Following islands are currently open for tourists in Andaman: Ross Island, North Bay Island, Chidiatapu, Havelock, Neil Island, Jolly Buoy Island, Red Skin Island, and Baratang Island.